St. Columba Catholic Church
|St. Columba Catholic Church was founded in 1898, a collaborative result between Sacred Heart Church, Oakland and St. Joseph the Worker Church in Berkeley. The founding pastor was Father Martin Whyte (1898-1900), who was the Assistant Pastor of Sacred Heart. During this time, Fr. Whyte rented a five-room cottage at 63rd Street and San Pablo Avenue, where he lived and worked. The present rectory was built in 1903 under the pastorship of father Patrick Heslin.
The original population of St. Columba Catholic Church consisted of some 100 families, with the majority being Irish. Following the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, many Italians moved to Oakland, and in time the parish became 35% Italian, while the Irish population decreased to 20%. Within the two decades following the 1906 earthquake, the number of African American parishioners grew significantly.
|Fr. Aidan McAleenan, Pastor|
6401 San Pablo Ave., Oakland, CA
|St. Columba Catholic Church - Christmas Concert 2014-12-19|